Request a Free Consultation Today

Call 847-752-9639

Gurnee Ignition Interlock Devices (IIDs) Lawyer

Knowledgeable Ignition Interlock Devices (IIDs) Lawyer Adocating for Clients in Gurnee, IL

Ignition interlock devices can be challenging to drive with. If you have been charged with or convicted of DUI, you might be ordered to have one of these devices installed in any vehicle you drive as a condition of being able to keep driving at all. However annoying and embarrassing these devices may be, driving with one installed in your car might be better than not being allowed to drive. To keep driving with an IID, you will need to be approved for driving relief. If there is a compelling reason that you need to be able to keep driving, our lawyers may be able to help you qualify for this program.

Brady Cole Trial Lawyers understands the challenges a suspended driver's license can bring for those who are used to driving on a daily basis. You may need to drive to get to and from work each day, to go buy groceries for your family, or to transport your child to their extracurricular activities. If you need driving relief after a DUI arrest or conviction, we will do everything we can to help you obtain a Monitoring Device Driving Permit or Restricted Driving Permit.

How Does an IID Work?

An IID must be professionally installed into your vehicle. It will include both a breath-testing device capable of measuring your blood alcohol content (BAC) and a camera. You will need to blow into the device to prove that you are sober before your vehicle will start. The camera will take a picture of you blowing so that you cannot have another person take the breath test and start your car for you.

At random intervals while you are driving, you will receive an alert telling you to take another breath test. You have a very short amount of time to begin blowing when this alert goes off. Once again, the device will take a photograph of you so that law enforcement can be sure you are not having a passenger blow for you. If the IID detects that you have alcohol on your breath, your car may automatically turn itself off, forcing you to pull over immediately. This is to prevent drivers from starting their cars sober and then beginning to drink while driving.

If you are ordered to drive only with an IID, and you are caught driving any other vehicle, you can be charged with a crime. You may also face penalties if you are accused of tampering with or attempting to bypass an IID in your vehicle.

Who Qualifies for the Driving Relief Program?

Your DUI attorney will need to help you prove several facts before you can receive a Monitoring Device Driving Permit (MDDP) or Restricted Driving Permit (RDP). An MDDP will typically be available following a first-time DUI conviction or a statutory summary suspension that will apply if you failed a BAC test after being arrested for DUI. With this type of permit, you will not face any restrictions on when or where you can drive, as long as you use an IID as required.

With an RDP, you will need to show that not being able to drive at all would result in undue hardship. For example, if you have no other way to get to work or take your child to their medical appointments or to daycare, you might meet this requirement. You will also need to have a professional drug and alcohol evaluation done to determine whether you have an active substance abuse problem. If you are determined to be addicted to alcohol or other drugs, you will also need to prove that you are receiving treatment and remaining sober.

Finally, you will need to appear at a hearing at the Secretary of State's office and demonstrate that you will not pose a threat to public safety if you are allowed to drive under restrictions. While even some drivers with multiple DUIs may be approved, drivers with DUIs related to drugs an IID cannot test for or those who have caused serious injury may be denied. If you are approved for an RDP, you will most likely face restrictions that limit where and when you can drive.

Contact a Lake County, IL Restricted Driving Permit Lawyer

Brady Cole Trial Lawyers may be able to help you keep driving after a DUI by working to obtain a Monitored Device Driving Permit or Restricted Driving Permit. Our experienced Gurnee DUI attorneys will do all we can to make sure you have access to your needed transportation. Contact us at 847-752-9639 for a complimentary consultation.

Back to Top